Nursing Informatics refers to a discipline in the health informatics study, which employs information technology to the nurses’ dexterity, and profession in healthcare. It aims at enhancing patient care deliverance and enhancing familiarity in the nursing practice (Coleman, et al 2010). The study incorporates nursing science, information science, and computer technology, to improve the excellence of the nursing practice. This is through advanced communication, certification, and efficiency. With nursing informatics, the enthusiasm, for nursing expertise and novelty leads to enhanced patient results and advanced quality patient-nurse relations. The study assists in information, statistics, and knowledge incorporation to sustain the verdict making of nurses, patients, as well as other contributors in all parts, and situations. Nursing informatics also assist in identifying problems, developing alternative solutions, implementing, and evaluating them. This is with the accompaniment of information processes, information structures, as well as information technology (Coleman, et al 2010).
How Nursing Informatics can improve patient safety
Nursing informatics can improve patient safety through clinical data systems, communication and human aspects, and discretion security.
Clinical data systems
In order to reduce errors, and improve systems, decision making and provider classification admission systems, are the most major components. Through provider classification admission, a 55% reduction in severe prescription inaccuracy and unfavorable medicine measures is approximated. However, if not thoroughly tested and evaluated, this scheme can also encourage consumer mistakes. This is through
omission of applicable information, escalation of surplus information, presentation of rules that are unsuitable for a patient’s profile, and integration of factual errors in line up inputs, or line up sense. In order to avoid these mistakes sufficient training, and regular system coverage, as well as examination of systems, for unfavorable recommendations should be done.
Poor medicine measures (adverse drug events), comprise a major part of medical mistakes, and contribute about $2 billion rise in hospital charge. In order to assess, and notice ADEs, a demonstration analysis, which tends to be competent and dominant, is done with an electronic medical information storage area. To endorse systems that sense, and avoid adverse events, informatics programs should integrate theory of systems and data, software appliance improvement, and scheme design method, merged with broad clinical familiarity in the expansion, and assessment of computerized systems.
Communication and Human aspects
There are six stages in the medical faults hierarchical representation. They include individual, person- technology relations, allocated systems, organizational structures, organization functions, and state rules. The individual and person–technology relations, can be applied in medical errors, through distressing clinicians’ alertness of possible hazardous situations. It also acts as a way to assess clinicians’ supposed workload comprehension and verdict processes, and through sensing irregular dealings that need clinical involvement. Errors at the allocated systems or at the levels of organizational structures are mainly caused by communication predicaments. This can occur during data admission, which in turn leads to medical errors.
Most of the patient information that is meant to be discreet is being used nowadays as evidence to support studies. This is affecting the safety of patients, which is meant to be protected, by being kept private. In order to make patient privacy secure any and all information aspects that might be employed as identifiers should be eradicated. If used severely, this may make the information set ineffective. Also, if less restraining algorithms are used, patient confidentiality may be at jeopardy.
Bisphenol A website Evaluation
First of all, what generates a concern is that the website has not indicated the name of the author/s, or even how one can contact them. This makes it impossible to know whether the information is accurate, or not. Also, the website has no indication of when it was last updated. This makes the reader to worry as to whether the information is up to date. Another point of concern is that the source is unreliable since a good website, for health should be written by a health expert, like a doctor, or sponsored by a health organization, for instance, The National Health Institutes. Also credentials should be given, as well as the logos of the contributors. In addition, the information might be inaccurate, or biased, since it slants in the chemical’s favor. This makes it look like the chemical was on promotion.
Another point of concern is that the website does not give any sources of information or references. This can make the reader wonder whether the information is based on facts, or on opinions. The website also shows its inaccuracy as it gives stories about people instead of information based on scientific evidence. The purpose of the website can be assumed as one meant to advertise. This is because it shows all the good things about the chemical, which raises the question of its accuracy. Also, the website asks for the users’ comments, and email addresses, which makes one wonder why the information is needed. A good website where one can get information regarding Bisphenol- A is from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Malpractice vs. Negligence
Malpractice refers to someone doing something wrong that they were supposed to know was wrong. When a professional commits negligence, it is considered a form of malpractice. However, not all forms of malpractice are considered to be negligence. Malpractice is the inappropriate, or unprincipled behaviour, or irrational requirement of skill by a person, who holds an executive, or proficient position. It allows for compensation because the accused owed the plaintiff a duty he/she ought to have done. Negligence, on the other hand, refers to someone failing to do something which they ought to have done. Negligence is when one fails to employ concern that another concerned, and reasonable person would have (or not have) employed, if found in the same situation. It is considered an accidental tort.
Nebraska Board of Nursing Website
10 Occurrences to report under the mandatory reporting regulations
- If one looses his/her license in a hospital, or in other medical facility because of accusations of being incompetent, careless, having immoral behaviors, or being unprincipled. Also in cases where one gets physically, mentally, or chemically harmed.
- In case one volunteers to step aside as a health care provider due to official, or unofficial exploration, or assessment by the health care facility, or the facility’s committee due to cases of being clinically unprofessional, behaving incompetently, or being mentally, physically, or chemically harmed.
- In case one looses a job as a result of being careless, possessing immoral, or incompetent conduct, unprofessionalism, or being physically, chemically, or mentally harmed.
- In case a patient sues a health care provider of carelessness, and the patient claims to be compensated. The amount paid has to be more, or the same as the one the patient paid.
- In case where the proficient accountability cover gets withdrawn, restricted, or else, customized because of a proficient accountability declaration.
- In case one gets denied the proficient accountability cover due to a primary, or restoration basis of a proficient accountability declaration.
- In case when one gets refutation of any documentation, or disapproval to perform by any country, region, or authority that includes any armed, or centralized authority. This can be because of carelessness, lack of skill, being unprincipled, or unprofessional, or being physically, mentally, or chemically harmed.
- In case one receives a corrective action against any documentation, or other kinds of authorization by another country or region which includes any armed, or centralized command.
- In case one loses association in a proficient union because of accusations of lack of skill, carelessness, being unprincipled, having bad behaviour, or being physically, emotionally, or chemically harmed.
- In case one is found guilty of any crime, or offence in Nebraska, or any other country, region, or command, that includes any armed, or centralized command.
Behaviours to report if found in another nurse
- Horrible ineffectiveness.
- A prototype of careless behaviour.
- Dishonourable behaviour.
- Failure to perform well due to alcohol, consumption of controlled substances, sedative drugs, or becoming disabled physically, or emotionally.
- In case of other breaches of ruling, and policies that preside over the practice of the occupation.
Behaviours to report if found in a doctor
- In case distasteful ineffectiveness is observed.
- Failure to perform well, or coming to work while drunk, using drugs, or being physically or emotionally disabled.
How do the scope and standards of nursing practice protect a nurse
The standards of nursing practice ascertain minimum practice rules, and prospects. They protect the nurses from finding themselves in liability positions in case they deviate from ascertained care principles. The nurses are also protected from loosing their proficient certificates, commercial, and personal finances, as well as jeopardy from patient care (Coleman, et al 2010).
Coleman, P. A., Kelley, W., Tyler, D., & Tupper, S. (2010). Informatics Competencies for Every Practicing Nurse: Recommendations from the TIGER Collaborative. Web.