What Is a Persuasive Essay?
A persuasive essay is a type of essay that presents logical arguments with emotional appeal in order to sway readers to a particular point of view. Persuasive essays can be both a form of academic writing and personal writing. They typically begin with a question that the writer spends the essay arguing in favour of or in opposition to. A personal essay writer will make a firm statement that is backed up with a combination of data, research, and anecdotal experience. The writer will often explore opposing positions and counterarguments as a means to discredit them.
3 Elements of a Persuasive Essay
A good persuasive essay should feature three essential components known as modes of persuasion. These elements, coined by philosopher Aristotle himself, work together to make a compelling and effective argument that attempts to persuade others’ points of view.
- Ethos: Ethos is an element of argument and persuasion through which a speaker establishes their credibility and knowledge, as well as their good moral character. Readers are more likely to trust someone with credible knowledge, personal experience, or standing within a community. Including ethos—or ethics—in your persuasive writing can help sell your point of view.
- Pathos: Pathos is an appeal made to an audience’s emotions in order to evoke feelings. Triggering particular emotions in your audience can help them connect with you as a narrator. This provides a layer of interest to your readers as well, making your writing more compelling and stickier.
- Logos: Logos is a rhetorical or persuasive appeal to the audience’s logic and rationality. Good persuasive writing outlines a series of logical reasons that the reader should believe the writer’s argument.
Below are 20 Good Persuasive Essay Topics.
- Hunting wild animals are immoral
- Why microchipping your pet is good
- Is it ethical to clone animals?
- Standardized tests are not for everyone
- School breaks should be longer
- Why PE is necessary for each grade of school
- Vaccines cause autism
- People themselves are the reason for global warming
- How we can save species from extinction
- Everyone must engage in physical activity
- Calorie reduction is the healthiest way to lose weight
- Kids must limit their time with electronics
- Growing up in a single-parent household has long-term consequences
- How the tax system benefits the already wealthy
- Listening to music slows down homework productivity
- Every public space must have free wifi
- When should the adoption not be allowed?
- Euthanasia should be legalized
- Human trafficking must be severely prosecuted
- Prostitution has to be eliminated